This Italian traybake recipe was really useful the other weekend. I was struggling to come up with a dish that would serve; my husband and I, 3 hungry children, 2 sets of grandparents with very different food tastes, was food budget conscious and did not require me to stand in the kitchen all day. Having recently downloaded the Nigellissima free app this recipe jumped out at me for its ease and for the fact it would probably appeal to most tastes.
This served 6 adults and 3 children
4 baking potatoes (approx 750g total) unpeeled and cut into 2 cm chunks
10 chicken thighs bone in and skin on
8 sausages (Nigella says Italian sausages but I just used Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Pork Sausages)
small bunch (6 or 7 sprigs) of rosemary
zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
1 teaspoon of sea salt flakes or ½ teaspoon pouring salt
Served with fresh bread and purple sprouting broccoli
- Preheat the oven to 200°c/gas mark 7
- Put the potatoes into a large, shallow baking tray and add the chicken thighs and sausages.
- Arrange about 4 sprigs of the rosemary among the chicken and sausages, then finely chop the needles of another 2 sprigs to give you about 2 teaspoons of finely chopped needles and sprinkle these onto the chicken pieces.
- Zest the lemon over everything, and season with the salt and a good grinding of pepper. Drizzle with the oil and bake for 50-60 minute, or until the chicken skin and sausages are golden and the potato pieces are cooked through. It can stand for up to 30 minutes prior to serving which is perfect for someone like me who worries about timings.
- I served it with green vegetables.
It was delicious and the smell of rosemary and lemon wafting around my home was amazing. Interested in more Italian recipes from Nigella? At the time this was published you can buy the book Nigellissima new from the The Book People for £9.99 or from Amazon for £13.
Thanks for reading.