With warmer weather hopefully approaching my thoughts turn to enjoying eating outside. Family picnics and BBQs with friends. When we get together this summer I will probably make this recipe for Curried Rice Salad. It is easy to prepare ahead of time, it’s a great side dish, and has a mild, spicy tang to it. I have adapted the recipe to suit me but the original recipe came from a talented catering friend of my Mums. She used to create mouthwatering summer Wedding buffets in large marquees and I was one of her waitresses. Once the wedding guests had been well fed, tables cleared and everyone was settled for the speeches with a glass of champagne, we were allowed to eat whatever food had been left. Oh what a delicious feast we would have of the finest poached salmon and fresh salads. I loved that job.
CURRIED RICE SALAD
- 175g Basmati rice
- 1 eating apple, peeled and diced
- a handful of sultanas
- 1 medium sized white onion
- half a lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons of mango chutney
- 2 rounded teaspoons of mild curry powder
- Your favourite french dressing
- A handful of flaked almonds.
- Cook the rice according to the packet’s instructions and remove the rice just before it becomes fluffy. Separated grains of cooked rice are what we are aiming for.
- Rinse rice in cold running water. Drain and once most of the water is out put into a bowl. Add the French dressing so that the rice is lightly covered.
- Fry the chopped onions until transparent. Add curry powder and stir over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Peel and dice the apples into little cubes. Squeeze lemon juice over them to stop them going brown. Mix apple into the rice, together with the onions, sultanas and mango chutney.
- The rice can then be stored in a container in the fridge until needed that day.
- In a frying pan toast the flaked almonds until the begin to go brown. Put to one side.
- When ready to serve sprinkle the nuts over the rice salad.
Grubby Little Faces https://www.grubbylittlefaces.com/
Does this sound like something you would try? What do you like to serve for Summer get togethers? I’d love to know.
Thanks for reading.